Goal: We exist to reduce sexually transmitted infections (STI’s) and teen pregnancies in Grant County. We believe that prevention and effective control of STI’s and teen pregnancies is the responsibility of communities.
The coalition focuses on..
- Promoting sexual health education in schools and including/educating parents
- Providing education and resources in settings outside of schools
- Updating and maintaining a STI Resource List
- Developing and maintaining a connection with youth
- Targeting youth through technology
- Distributing condoms
- Investigating new STI cases
- Conducting outreach activities with local communities
The Reason for SHAPE:
- Gonorrhea, Syphilis, and Chlamydia cases are continually increasing throughout Grant County
- The STI rate is higher in Grant County than Washington State
- The age range for the majority of STI cases in Grant County is 15-34 years old
- Babies born to teen mothers is at 64% in Grant County; the 3rd highest rate of all Washington State counties
Meetings: Meetings are held bimonthly at the Grant County Health District.
Time commitment: Coalition members are asked to commit one to two hours per month on average.
Questions? Please contact the SHAPE Coordinators at 509-766-7960