Goal: We exist to reduce sexually transmitted diseases and teen pregnancies in Grant County. We believe that prevention and effective control of STD’s and teen pregnancies is the responsibility of communities.
The coalition focuses on..
- Promoting sexual health education in schools and including/educating parents
- Providing education and resources in settings outside of schools
- Updating and maintaining a STD Resource List
- Developing and maintaining a connection with youth
- Targeting youth through technology
- Distributing condoms
- Investigating new STD cases
- Conducting outreach activities with local communities
The Reason for SHAPE:
- Gonorrhea, Syphilis, and Chlamydia cases are continually increasing throughout Grant County
- The sexually transmitted infection (STI) rate is higher in Grant County than Washington State
- The age range for the majority of STI cases in Grant County is 15-34 years old
- Babies born to teen mothers is at 64% in Grant County; the 3rd highest rate of all Washington State counties
Meetings are held once a month at the Moses Lake Office of Grant County Health District.
Coalition members are asked to commit one to two hours per month on average
Contact Cassandra Herdrick by clicking here or 509-766-7960 ext. 31