Our goal is to reduce the number of head injuries associated with the lack of bicycle helmets and unsafe walking environments. We work with local police departments and cities to adopt bike helmet ordinances. We host/ participate in educational events such as bike rodeos where we distribute free helmets to kids in need. We also work with school to improve the environment around the school where children walk.
Event/ activities s associated with active living
- Safe Routes to School, International Walk to School Day & International Bike to School Day
- 14 Schools in Grant County have adopted maps for Safe Routes to School
- If your school is interested in adopting a safe walking & biking route- Call GCHD- we are here to help!
- Facilitate Community Bike Rodeos – Bike helmet distribution and bike safety education events.
- Worked with local government of bike safety–Two cities (Moses Lake & Quincy) have adopted a bicycle helmet ordinance.
Does your helmet fit?
Proper-fitting helmets save lives. When it comes to biking, skating or skiing, a helmet that fits right can help prevent head injuries. Get the right helmet fit.
A helmet should be adjusted each time you use it. Learn how to correctly fit a bike helmet.
- Position the helmet: The helmet should fit level to the head and be within two fingers from the eyebrow.
- Adjust the Straps: The straps should be adjusted to make a “V” just under and slightly in front of the ears.
- Adjust the chin straps: Buckle the helmet, no more than two fingers should fit between the strap and the chin.
- Test the fit: Open your mouth wide…a big yawn! The helmet should pull down on the head. Shake your head “yes” & “no”, the helmet should not move.
Bike Rodeo – Bike helmet distribution and bike safety education events
Each year Safe Kids Grant County seeks out funding to purchase bike and all-purpose helmets for distribution throughout Grant County. Local partners host events that educate children and parents on the importance of protecting their brain every time they ride a bike, scooter or skate board.