The solid waste program at GCHD aims to prevent the spread of illness through proper disposal our garbage, compost, recyclables, and other solid waste products from everyday life. We inspect landfills, transfer stations, drop boxes, compost facilities, land application sites, and compost facilities. Another part of our job is responding to complaints from the public concerning improper disposal of solid waste. The links below provide more information to current and potential solid facility operators and the general public to report complaints.
- Regulations– Disposal of solid waste in Grant County is regulated by GCHD Ordinance 2003-3 which adopts the state codes WAC 173-350 and WAC 173-351.
- Solid Waste Facility Permitting – Under the solid waste regulations in Grant County, certain types of facilities and operations are required to have an approved Solid Waste Handling Permit prior to operation. If your facility is exempt from permitting, you may still need to send GCHD and the Department of Ecology a notification of exemption prior to operation. If you are unsure if your facility needs a solid waste permit or exemption notification, feel free to call (509) 766-7960.
- Permit Application
- Exemption Form
- More Information and forms www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/swfa/facilities/forms.html
- Solid Waste Complaints– If you suspect waste in your neighborhood is disposed of unlawfully, you can file a solid waste complaint by calling GCHD at (509) 766-7960
- Report a Complaint Online – Coming Soon!